PARK CITY, Utah — Park City Ski & Snowboard (PCSS) is bringing back the Park City Town Series at the Utah Olympic Park (UOP). It starts on January 28 and then repeats on February 11, March 4, and March 25.
The Town Series will include two optional formats. A traditional downhill format for alpine racers, with rare access to the UOP lifts. An additional uphill SkiMo race will also be provided. Each format will be seperate and independantly timed. Registered individuals or teams may complete one or both formats.
Support your local news stream and consider becoming a member today.Join Now
“We, PCSS, are responding to numerous requests from a variety of community members to bring back the PC Town Race Series, a staple in the history, story, and culture of PC. We are truly honored to be able to revitalize this long-standing tradition, with a slight twist or two.” Pete Stoughton, PCSS, Events and Development Director told me.
The town series is for all ages and abilities and all community members.
Awards for each format will be provided at each race and for the whole series.
Apres-ski will be available with music, food, drinks, and a raffle for purchase each night.
Racing will start at 6:00 p.m.
Check-in for all athletes will be at the PCSS tent at the base of the chair lift.
Alpine racers will utilize the chair lifts, SkiMo racers will meet lookers left of the chair lift at the back of the museum.
Alpine Racing will be open from 6-8 p.m.
SkiMo racing will start at 6:30 p.m. with two more heats at 7:00 p.m. and at 7:30 p.m.
Secondly and separately, the next Utah SkiMo race of the season is on Tuesday, January 4 at Park City Mountain (PCM). Utah SkiMo in conjunction with Park City SkiMo are hosting this very first event on the Wasatch Back.
Check in will be at the base of the main PCM parking lot near the First Timer Lift (approximate check-in tent location will be HERE ).
The start, since it’s not in the parking lot, will take 5 to 10 minutes to skin to and the race starts at 7:00 p.m. With such growing enthusiasm for SkiMo racing, they will not mass start but split the start by a few minutes to spread people out.
Below is the course description and map:
1. Start just below payday (in the area above the magic carpet). First climb will go looker’s left up Home Run to the base of Waterfall.
2. Kick turns part way up Waterfall, then a booter section, then back to skinning/kick turns
3. At the top of Waterfall, we will run lookers left in the soft snow (not on the easy way down cat track), rejoin Home Run at pump house
5. Groomer up from pump house to Angle Station
6. Transition at Angle Station
7. Skiers will drop fall line from angle station to the bumps/ungroomed section skiers left of Treasure Hollow to control speed. We will take that section as far down into Treasure Hollow as possible before we pop out onto Treasure Hollow groomer run.
8. Drop Treasure Hollow to the base of Waterfall, then lap again (not drop all the way back down home run)
9. Racers will do the first long lap, and one extra short lap for a total of ~2k ft. of vert. Rec and Sport division will do one lap for ~1200k ft of vert.
They are always looking for volunteers to help with the growing demands of putting on the best SkiMo series in North America. Sign up HERE. People interested in joining the Board/Open meeting on January 6, sign up for that HERE.