PCFD Responds to Chimney Fire, Advises Homeowners to Conduct Maintenance Before Use

PARK CITY, Utah. The Park City Fire Department (PCFD) responded to a chimney fire early Monday, Nov. 16 and posted a reminder to their Facebook page that residents should consider getting their chimney cleaned and inspected before lighting their wood-burning fireplace or stove this winter.

According to the Chimney Safety Institute of America, indications of a chimney fire have been described as sounding like a “loud cracking and popping noise,” creating an abundance of dense smoke and causing an “intense, hot smell.”

Since 2015, the Summit County Council has banned wood burning stoves and fireplaces from being installed in any new construction or renovation projects, but that leaves plenty of residents living in older homes that still rely on these appliances as their main heat source.

The issues of air pollution and negative health effects caused by wood burning stoves or fireplaces led to the creation of a joint program called  “Burn Smart” between the Summit County Health Department, Habitat for Humanity of Summit and Wasatch Counties, the Utah Physicians for a Healthy Environment and Purple Air.

According to a statement by Summit County, “The program will reduce exposure to wood smoke pollution by helping low and moderate-income residents obtain sources of heat cleaner and healthier than wood-burning stoves.  In addition, the grant will help fund an education and awareness campaign for underserved populations to address the health effects of wood smoke.”

If you, your friends or family rely on a wood burning stove or fireplace as your main heat source, consider applying today for the wood burning conversion program.

You May Also Like
TownLift Is Brought To You In Part By These Presenting Partners.

Add Your Organization