Enter for a chance to win a local holiday shopping spree. Over $12,000 in prizes from 30+ local businesses presented by the Park City Chamber of Commerce.
An elk was beheaded on the property late last month in violation of Summit County's strict no-hunting policy
SUMMIT COUNTY, Utah — The Summit County Land and Natural Resources Department is seeking volunteer ambassadors to monitor 910 Cattle Ranch.
Summit County took control of 910 Cattle Ranch, which spans 8,576 acres north of Jeremy Ranch, after it entered into a purchase agreement with the former owner in late August.
Although a strict no-hunting rule is enforced on the property, a dead bull elk was discovered there on Sept. 26. The animal had been beheaded, and a small portion of its meat had been taken.
Now Summit County is looking for volunteers to monitor the public’s compliance with its no-hunting policy, as well as other restrictions. They will also educate the public on permitted property usage, and stewardship goals.
Ambassadors are required to commit to volunteering a minimum of eight hours a month for six months. County employees are exempt from this requirement, and the county will consider other exceptions.
According to the volunteer program website, ambassadors will have the following responsibilities:
- Ambassadors will have a presence both on trails and at trailheads.
- Ambassadors will wear a vest to identify themselves while volunteering.
- During visits, Ambassadors will engage with users in a friendly manner by providing positive reinforcement to encourage good behavior, answering questions, and sharing information as appropriate.
- During visits, Ambassadors will NOT confront any users engaging in illegal activities, such as hunting, on the property. Rather, Ambassadors will note any relevant details and then share that information with the Summit County Sheriff’s Office.
- At the end of each patrol, Ambassadors will complete a report, which will include data on user interactions and conditions.
A maximum of 25 volunteers will be selected from the applicant pool. Those interested can apply here.