Enter for a chance to win a local holiday shopping spree. Over $12,000 in prizes from 30+ local businesses presented by the Park City Chamber of Commerce.
LAKE PLACID, NY — The wait is over for Chris Mazdzer. The 2018 Pyeongchang silver medalist will get his fourth Olympic nomination after the International Luge Federation (FIL) confirmed Monday (Jan. 10) morning that USA Luge would receive three starters in the Beijing men’s singles Olympic field.
A total of seven World Cup events, starting in November at Beijing’s Olympic venue at the Yanqing National Sliding Center, were used to make the determination. Each team was allowed to count their best four of seven competitions in each discipline.
In recent days, it was unknown if USA Luge would get two or the maximum three men in singles. Tucker West and Jonny Gustafson claimed two spots with Tier C results last month, while Mazdzer came close to a Tier C but did not check all the boxes. It was a moot point, however, when the FIL confirmed this morning that USA Luge would get the third men’s slot.
Today’s information completes the roster of USA Luge athletes who will be nominated this week to the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Committee (USOPC). The official release of all USA Olympic Teams will occur from Jan. 22-25.
The following USA Luge athletes will be nominated to the USOPC for the Beijing Olympic Winter Games:
- Summer Britcher (Glen Rock, PA) – member of the 2014 and 2018 U.S. Olympic Teams
- Emily Sweeney (Lake Placid, NY) – member of the 2018 U.S. Olympic Team
- Ashley Farquharson (Park City, Utah) – would be a first time Olympian
- Tucker West (Ridgefield, CT) – member of the 2014 and 2018 U.S. Olympic Teams
- Jonny Gustafson (Massena, NY) – would be a first time Olympian
- Chris Mazdzer (Salt Lake City, Utah) – member of the 2010, 2014 and 2018 U.S. Olympic Teams
- Zack DiGregorio (Medway, MA) and Sean Hollander (Lake Placid, NY) – would be first time Olympians