The U.S. Ski & Snowboard Cross Country Ski Team nominations
PARK CITY, Utah. — U.S. Ski & Snowboard has announced the Davis U.S. Cross Country Ski Team nominations for the 2021-22 Olympic season. Nominations include those active athletes who qualified based on published selection criteria in the prior season.
The 2021-22 team is highlighted by an experienced group of World Cup, World Championship, and Olympic athletes, including Olympic gold medalist and 2021 FIS Overall Champion Jessie Diggins; two-time World Cup winner Rosie Brennan; and 2020 FIS Junior World Championship double-gold medalist Gus Schumacher.
Schumacher, who just two years ago was a member of the Development Team, moved from the B Team up to the A Team following a break-out season that included more than a dozen top-30 World Cup results. JC Schoonmaker, who was on the Development Team last season, also joins Schumacher on the A Team this season after posting numerous top 30 World Cup results. Diggins, Brennan, and Hailey Swirbul, who picked up her first career World Cup podium last season, were also nominated to the A Team.
B Team nominations include Julia Kern, Katharine Ogden, Kevin Bolger, Scott Patterson, Logan Hanneman, and Sydney Palmer-Leger, who moves up from the Development Team.
The 2021-22 team features 10 Development Team athletes, including numerous members with junior and U23 World Championships medals to their credit. Zanden McMullen joins the Development Team this season following his results at the 2021 Junior World Championships, including a fifth-place result in the 10 km skate. Also returning to the Development Team are Sophia Laukli, who competed in her first World Cup races, and the 2021 World Championships this past season; and Hannan Halvorsen, who also competed in her first World Cup races – scoring World Cup points in the freestyle sprint events.
Athletes nominated to the team will all be invited to the first training camp of the season May 15-28 at Mt. Bachelor / Bend, Oregon. Team training camps will follow July 25 through Aug. 7 on Eagle Glacier in Alaska; and October 4-18 in Park City, Utah. The 2021-22 FIS Cross Country World Cup season kicks off Nov. 26-29 in Ruka, Finland. The 2022 Olympic Winter Games are scheduled for Feb. 4-20 in Beijing.
Each athlete accepting the nomination to U.S. Ski Team receives world-class program support, along with access to the USANA Center of Excellence, as well as athletic benefits including elite coaching, sport science, sports medicine, and high-performance staff, and education opportunities.
An official Davis U.S. Cross Country Ski Team announcement will be made in the fall.
2021-22 Cross Country Nominations
(Hometown; Club; Birthdate)
- Rosie Brennan (Anchorage, Alaska; Alaska Pacific University Ski Nordic Center; 12/21/88)
- Jessie Diggins (Afton, Minn.; Stratton Mountain School Elite Team; 8/26/91)
- Hailey Swirbul (Aspen, Colo.; Alaska Pacific University Nordic Ski Center; 7/10/98)
- Gus Schumacher (Anchorage, Alaska; Alaska Winter Stars; 7/25/00)
- JC Schoonmaker (Tahoe City, Calif; University of Alaska Anchorage/Sugar Bowl Ski Team and Academy; 8/12/00)
- Julia Kern (Waltham, Mass.; Stratton Mountain School Elite Team; 9/12/97)
- Katharine Ogden (Landgrove, Vt.; Stratton Mountain School Elite Team; 11/17/97)
- Sydney Palmer-Leger (Park City, Utah; Sun Valley Gold Team/University of Utah; 2/4/2002)
- Kevin Bolger (Minocqua, Wisc.; Sun Valley Gold Team; 4/11/93)
- Scott Patterson (Anchorage, Alaska; Alaska Pacific University Nordic Ski Center; 1/28/92)
- Logan Hanneman (Anchorage, Alaska; Alaska Pacific University Nordic Ski Center; 6/2/93)
- Hannah Halvorsen (Truckee, Calif.; Alaska Pacific University Nordic Ski Center; 2/19/98)
- Novie McCabe (Winthrop, Wash.; Methow Valley Nordic Team/University of Utah; 12/15/01)
- Kendall Kramer (Fairbanks, Alaska; Alaska Winter Stars/University of Alaska Fairbanks; 6/25/02)
- Sophia Laukli (Yarmouth, Maine; Middlebury College; 6/8/00)
- Johnny Hagenbuch (Ketchum, Idaho; Sun Valley Gold Team; 10/1/2001)
- Luke Jager (Anchorage, Alaska; Alaska Pacific University Nordic Ski Center/University of Utah; 1/17/00)
- Noel Keeffe (Steamboat Springs, Colo.; Steamboat Springs Winter Sports Club/University of Utah; 8/24/99)
- Zanden McMullin (Anchorage, Alaska; Alaska Pacific University Nordic Ski Center/Montana State University; 5/31/2001)
- Ben Ogden (Landgrove, Vt.; Stratton Mountain School Elite Team/University of Vermont; 2/13/00)
- Hunter Wonders (Anchorage, Alaska; Alaska Pacific University Nordic Ski Center; 8/7/98)
You must be logged in to post a comment.