SUMMIT COUNTY, Utah – The Summit County Public Art Advisory Board (SCPAAB) is seeking qualified artists to execute a highly creative two-dimensional mural artwork to be installed on the exterior of the Public Works Building in Hoytsville.
The surface material of the building is concrete and brick, and the design should cover at least one-third of the 364’x11’ wall (approximately 121’x11’), with some flexibility based on concept design after community interviews and mural design development.
The process will include a “listening tour” comprised of interviews and meetings with Hoytsville residents, local historians, and Indigenous Tribal members. The mural process may also be documented with photos and video, so applicants should be willing to consent to documentation.
The project’s budget is up to $10,000 and includes artist’s fees and related expenses for design, supplies, fabrication, insurance, transportation, travel, permits, and installation. Any costs incurred for design/artwork-related engineering, electrical, infrastructure modifications, and assistance from the contractors shall be the artist’s responsibility.
The projected artwork install period will occur in Spring 2022, with a completion deadline of June 1, 2022. These dates are subject to change, and artists are expected to remain as flexible as possible in this regard.
Artists interested in this project must prepare and submit the following:
- Letter of Interest – This letter should be no more than one page and explain the artist’s interest in the project.
- Current Resume – If submitting as a team, a current resume for each team member shall be provided
- Visual Support Materials – Submit ten digital images of your professional work. Images must be submitted in the following format:
- File Type: JPEGs
- Image Size: Images to be no more than 1920 pix on the longest side saved at 72 dpi.
- File Labeling: Files must be titled with a number indicating the viewing order, followed by the artist’s last name. The numbers must correspond to the accompanying Image List. Use “0” in front of single-digit numbers. Do not use more than 30 characters, and use only letters, numbers, and underscores. example: 01_Smith.jpg
- Annotated image list – The image list must include the artist’s name and a brief description of the image stating its title, date, medium, size, location, and if a commissioned project, the commission budget.
- Community Engagement: 2-3 Examples of community engagement projects or workshops coordinated with past public art projects.
- References – A list of at least three professional references that have an intimate knowledge of the artist’s work and working methods. The list must include complete emails and telephone numbers.
- Contract – The individual(s) selected shall be required to enter into a professional services agreement with the County on a form to be drafted and approved by the Summit County Attorney’s Office. Applicants must read the County’s standard professional services agreement, including the artist’s mandatory insurance requirements. Contracted artist (s) may be subject to additional conditions in the contract explicitly related to the project.
Materials (including links to file sharing services) should be emailed to: [email protected] with the subject line: RFQ Submission – Hoytsville Historical Mural.
All submissions must be received by 5:00 p.m. MST on February 20, 2022. Submission of digital materials is required. Digital format responses will be accepted via email (Attn: Thea Henney, Summit County Public Art Advisory Board Administrator at [email protected]).
Comprehensive information can be found here.