ALTA, Utah — While Alta Ski Area officially closed its lifts for the 2021-22 season last weekend, uphill travel is now permitted.
Collins Gulch and Grizzly Gulch are open, but the Albion Basin Summer Road is currently closed due to equipment on the hill.
There is also no uphill travel in Collins Gulch, Albion Basin, or the Supreme area.
The Summer Road starts at the gate where Little Cottonwood Canyon Road ends and may be used to access Grizzly Gulch and Catherine’s Pass. Generally, when the Summer Road is closed, individuals should be able to get to the south-facing slopes above the Town of Alta.
When traveling uphill in Alta Ski Area please note the following:
- Backcountry conditions exist.
- Hazards are not marked.
- Individuals are responsible for assessing avalanche hazard and risk.
- Please treat the ski area as backcountry terrain.
- Carry and know how to use avalanche gear.
- There is no ski patrol.
- Individuals are responsible for their own rescue.